Feb 14 2018

Where can you donate old TV sets, Ask the Times, donate old tv.#Donate #old #tv

Where can you donate old TV sets?

Donate old tv

Q: We have a working, non-HD, box-style RCA TV that we would like to donate. I haven’t been able to find an organization that takes the older TVs. Do you know of any groups?

A: Brenda, you’re right — places such as Salvation Army and Disabled American Veterans no longer take what’s called console television sets, or those in a wood case that sit on the floor.

Depending on the store, some will take other types — those in which the screen is surrounded by plastic, similar to an older-style computer monitor, or big screens or flat screens. The sets must be in working order, be cable-ready (with cable in the back ready for hookup) and some stores require the remote control. Because store policies vary, it’s best to call ahead.

Earlier this month, Goodwill stores in Bettendorf, Rock Island, Clinton and DeWitt announced they will stop accepting donations of televisions as of July 1 because customers no longer want to buy outdated TVs.

But that doesn’t mean your old console TV is destined for the landfill — not completely, anyway.

If you are a resident of Scott or Rock Island counties, you can drop off your TV for free at the Electronic Demanufacturing Facility, 1048 E. 59th St., Davenport, anytime between 7:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday-Friday.

Employees there will take your TV apart and either recycle the parts or make sure they are disposed of in a safe manner.

Davenport and Bettendorf offer free curbside pickup of electronic waste, including televisions, on a resident’s recycling day. Several other Scott County towns have free bulky waste pickup days.

To check on your town, go to the website of the Waste Commission of Scott County, and click on electronic demanufacturing. For questions, call

Rock Island County offers periodic free drop-off sites in Rock Island County.

Residents of other counties can take their televisions to the Demanufacturing Facility, too, but will be charged 20 cents per pound, up to $15. Or, they can contact their solid waste hauler or county offices for alternatives.

Q: I have had lab work done by the Mississippi Valley Lab, 3900 Dexter Court, Davenport, since 2004 and have asked for, and received, a copy of the report. My doctor also receives a copy.

Recently I had lab work done by the lab now called LabCorp, 3400 Dexter Court, Davenport. I asked to have a copy of the report sent to me, and was told that “corporate policy” will not allow mailing it to a patient/customer.

The patient must get it from the doctor. I pay for the report and feel I should be able to get a copy of it.

A: We checked with LabCorp in Davenport, and an official there said the report copies are sent to a doctor, because the physician is better able to interpret the results of the medical report to the patient.

There also may be confidentiality concerns with mailing out a report, not knowing who will open the mail.

According to the company’s website, LabCorp, based in Burlington, N.C., was formed from the 1995 merger of Roche Biomedical Laboratories and National Health Laboratories. Its roots extend back to 1905 when Hoffmann-La Roche began operations in the United States. Hoffmann-La Roche officially entered the lab business when it acquired the Kings County Research Laboratory in 1969.

(Answers provided by Times reporters Alma Gaul and Deirdre Baker.)

Written by admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *