Side Effects of Donating Blood – What are Effects of Donating Blood, donating blood side
What are the Side Effects of Donating Blood
The feeling of slight dizziness or lightheadedness is a common side effect of donating blood. A healthy donor is capable of donating about 1 pint of blood by volume without any serious side effects following blood donation. This amount of blood loss can be replenished within a day’s time. The side effects of donating blood are mostly temporary in nature, which subside on their own within a day or two. Blood donation after effects is most prevalent in teens; which accounts for about 11% of teens on a regular basis. But adults rarely suffer from any such kind of complications. But if these persists for longer period, immediate medical consultation is mandatory. The various side effects observed after a blood donation are as follows:
- Nausea and convulsions
- Fainting and falling
- Sweating and chills
- Stiffness at joints
- Tingling sensation at nose area or lips
Other minor side effects like –
- Bruising or bleeding from the injected needle
- Mild anemia
are common to occur. Severe complications may include –
- Low or high blood pressure
- Abnormal heart rhythm
- Chest pains
- Heart attack or stroke
Blood Donation Types and Side Effects
Besides the common whole blood transfusion, other types of blood donations also exist. These are called Automated Blood Collection (ABC) processes. These include
- In this process, only the platelets are separated from the donor blood and collected. The remaining blood is sent back into the donor body.
- Apheresis takes about 1.5-2 hours for completion.
- Since most of fluid is poured back into the body, sp side effects of blood donation are a few.
Alyx Blood Donation
- Minimal after effects are experienced after a double red blood cell donation.
- Alyx blood donation is also called double red blood cell donation.
- The donor donates 2 units of blood at a time.
- Only the RBCs are separated from the donor blood and remaining blood is transferred back to the donor body.
- Smaller sized syringe used in the process along with the minimal fluid replacement from the body makes it a very safe process.
- Alyx blood donation takes about 25 mins for completion.
- The name is self-explanatory, suggesting the transplantation of the plasma from a donor.
- Only blood plasma is collected from the donor body and is then collected. Rest of the blood components are transfused back into the donor’s body.
- The side effects observed after plasmapheresis is similar to the transfusion of whole blood. Since the fluid part is removed from the body.
The side effects of a blood donation are kept at minimal level by taking utmost care and precautions before and after the donation session. Taking ample fluids, eating well, a good night’s sleep are a must before and after a blood donation episode.