Donate Hair – Locks of Love, donating hair to cancer.#Donating #hair #to #cancer
donating hair to cancer
Anyone can donate as long as the guidelines listed below are followed. We encourage all of our donors to go to a salon they are already familiar with to ensure their comfort when donating.
Guidelines For Acceptable Donations
- Hair that is colored or permed is acceptable.
- Hair cut years ago is usable if it has been stored in a ponytail or braid.
- Hair that has been bleached (usually this refers to highlighted hair) is not usable. If unsure, ask your stylist. We are not able to accept bleached hair due to a chemical reaction that occurs during the manufacturing process. **If the hair was bleached years ago and has completely grown out it is fine to donate.
- Hair that is swept off of the floor is not usable because it is not bundled in a ponytail or braid.
- Hair that is shaved off and not in a ponytail or braid is not usable. If shaving your head, first divide hair into multiple ponytails to cut off.
- We cannot accept dreadlocks. Our manufacturer is not able to use them in our children’s hairpieces. We also cannot accept wigs, falls, hair extensions or synthetic hair.
- Layered hair is acceptable if the longest layer is 10 inches.
- Layered hair may be divided into multiple ponytails.
- Curly hair may be pulled straight to measure the minimum 10 inches.
- 10 inches measured tip to tip is the minimum length needed for a hairpiece.
- Shorter hair will be separated from the ponytails and sold to offset the manufacturing costs. Although the shorter hair cannot be used in the hairpieces, it still greatly helps to reduce costs.
- Gray hair will be accepted and sold to offset the manufacturing costs.
- Colored hair is not usable if it is colored over bleached hair.
- Because Locks of Love creates custom hairpieces for each child, we are unable to accept donations of wigs, falls, hair extensions or synthetic hair.
The Hair Donation Form is not required to donate hair. If you are having trouble downloading or printing the Hair Donation Form, just provide your name and address on a full size separate sheet of paper and include it in the envelope with your donation so that we may send you an acknowledgment.
How To Donate
- 10 inches measured tip to tip is the minimum length used for a hairpiece.
- Hair must be in a ponytail or braid before it is cut.
- Hair must be clean and completely dry before it is mailed in.
- Place the ponytail or braid inside of a plastic bag, and then inside of an envelope.
- If you wish to receive an acknowledgment for your hair donation, please fill out the hair donation form, or write your name and e-mail address or mailing address on a full size separate sheet of paper and include inside the envelope. We cannot acknowledge donors who do not send their name and address according to these instructions.
- All hair donations must be mailed to Locks of Love at: 234 Southern Blvd. West Palm Beach, FL 33405-2701
- Important: When mailing your donation, please make sure that you are sending it with adequate postage. The U.S. Postal Service has notified Locks of Love that many donations are being sent without enough postage, and these packages will be returned to sender. To ensure adequate postage, please take your donation to your local post office.
- Thank you!
You Should Know
- To serve as receipt of your donation, an acknowledgment is sent to each donor within 60 days from the date we receive your donation. Donor information must be clearly written on the hair donation form or on a full size separate sheet of paper and included with the donation.
- If you don’t receive an acknowledgment, it doesn’t mean that we didn’t receive your package! If 2 months have gone by and you have not yet received your thank-you, please e-mail [email protected] and we will send another one right away.
- NEW. If you would like immediate recognition for your donation, you can fill out the Locks of Love Certificate of Appreciation (PDF) with your name and date and print.
- There is no maximum length you can donate.
Become a Volunteer
Hold your own Locks of Love event or become a Participating Salon! Download our Locks of Love Registration Packet to organize your own event or become a participating salon. Locks of Love fund raising events are going on all over the United States. If you would like to organize an event in your area, please download the registration packet and submit your information by mail or fax to (561) 833-7962.
You do NOT need the Registration Packet if you are only donating your hair.
Locks of Love is looking for volunteers in Palm Beach County to open mail and enter data. We need individuals as well as groups, including:
- Church groups
- Mitzvah projects
- High School service clubs
- Girl Scout/Boy Scout/Brownie troops
- Or ANY group looking for a community service project
If you are from Palm Beach County, Florida and would like to donate your time at our office between the hours of 8:30-4:30 M-F, please call (561) 833-7332.
You Don’t Have to Donate Hair to Help!
Support Us by Searching
Locks of Love was Charity of the Day on GoodSearch.com Tuesday, August 3, 2010. A new way to search! GoodSearch donates a penny every time a supporter uses the site to search the internet.
Banner Links Show You Care:
Post this banner on your website (right click and save to hard drive) and link it to http://www.locksoflove.org or insert the following html code:
Help Us Help Others!
Tell your pediatrician or dermatologist about Locks of Love. Or, if you know a child who needs our help, please contact us with the name and address of the family. We will send an application.
If you happen to live in the Palm Beach County area, we always need helping hands to open and sort mail, enter data, and a hundred other tasks that keep us going. Call us at (561) 833-7332.
You can make a donation via check or credit card. We gladly accept Visa, MasterCard and American Express. Locks of Love is a 501(c)3 organization and all financial contributions are tax-deductible. Please print out the following Contribution Form (PDF) and send by fax or mail.
Mail your donation
234 Southern Blvd.
West Palm Beach, FL 33405
To make an online donation to Locks of Love via Network for Good, please visit our profile.
We are so grateful to all of our donors and their corporations who help to support Locks of Love through matching gift programs. If you are submitting your contribution for a company match, please either include the paperwork with your donation when it is mailed in to Locks of Love, or simply let us know via e-mail that a donation has been made and a company match is being requested. This greatly helps Locks of Love to match your gifts quickly and efficiently. Thank you!
Locks of Love is a non-religious, non-political, not-for-profit entity. Further, Locks of Love does not take positions or align itself with any special interests. Any event taking place as part of a religious, political or any other special interest group does not reflect the views or opinions of Locks of Love.
It is Locks of Love’s mission to promote the well-being of children through its program of providing hairpieces. All events and fundraisers held on behalf of Locks of Love should uphold and reflect the mission and desire to help disadvantaged children.