Corrections Department NZ – Donating books, donating books.#Donating #books
We are always grateful for the support of the community in the form of donations of books for our prison libraries.
Books we need
There are certain kinds of books we always need, and others that usually aren t particularly useful to us. For example, we always need dictionaries, thesauruses and atlases. But resources like out-of-date law books, university texts and computer manuals are generally not useful.
What we need most are paperback books which are new or in very good condition (no falling out pages or extensive underlining) in the following categories:
- General Health
- Manuals and ‘How To’ books
- trades – woodwork
- automotive, building and renovation
- car mechanics
- carpentry, electrics
- business; small business and accounting, marketing, law – personal-finance, law
- learning To Do – Drawing, painting, sculpting, photography
- learn to play – piano, guitar, drums, ukelele
- Psychology, philosphy, sociology, political science, economics, history
- Maori history
- New Zealand history
- spirituality religion
- Addiction And Recovery
- Interpersonal Relationships
- Family Dynamics – dealing with teens/young children
- Adult Fiction
- Young adult fiction
- Children’s fiction
- Science fiction
- Short stories
- Graphic novels/manga
Before donating books, please make sure any personal information is removed (for example names and addresses). Also check for photos, letters or other personal items.
Books which are not appropriate
- Out-of-date text or reference books
- Ex-library books
- Any books that are very old or in poor condition
- Books about weapons, fighting, making alcohol etc.
How to get books to us
Books can be dropped off by arrangement. Please contact one of our librarians or library assistants for details (see below).
If you have books you wish to donate, but getting them to us is difficult, we might be able to help.